Justin Bieber took Bing’s search king crown on Monday after the company revealed the top searches of 2011. Bieber fever appears to have swept across a number of Bing users as the 17-year old Canadian pop singer topped the charts for most-searched person of the year. Lindsay Lohan, Katy Perry and Megan Fox all featured in the top 10 most-searched people too. Bing’s top celebrity event of the year was the royal wedding of Prince William and Miss Catherine Middleton in April. “What we’ve found with the most-searched list is that it provides really interesting perspectives on the significant moments of the year,” said Lisa Gurry, director of audience PR for Bing. “It’s also an indicator of what’s rising and falling from a pop culture perspective.”
Microsoft has released a whole bunch of 2011 stats over at the company’s Bing search blog. Some highlights include:
- Bieber fever just got hotter: Justin Bieber moved from #6 in 2010 to #1 in 2011.
- The fascination in Kim Kardashian remains strong in 2011, with her moving slightly from #1 in 2010 to #2 in 2011.
- Six out of the top ten most searched people on Bing in 2010 fell out of the top ten in 2011, includingSandra Bullock, Jesse James, Michael Jackson, Tiger Woods, Barack Obama and Kate Gosselin.
- New to the top ten most searched people on Bing in 2011 include Katy Perry, Jennifer Lopez, Lindsay Lohan, Britney Spears, Megan Fox, and Miley Cyrus.
- Unfortunate news for Barack Obama heading into an election year, the President fell from #5 in 2010 to #49 in 2011.
- Team Aniston is on an upswing, with Jennifer Aniston moving from #9 in 2010 to #3 in 2011, while Angelina Jolie fell from #17 in 2010 to #26 in 2011.
- Dating the Biebs has its benefits…Selena Gomez went from #50 in 2010 to #11 in 2011.
- Fueled by eight #1 hits for Teenage Dream, Katy Perry went from #26 in 2010 to #7 in 2011.
- After not even cracking the top 50 in 2010, Jennifer Lopez rocketed to the 5th most searched person in Bing this year.
- American fell in love with the Middleton sisters in 2011, with Kate coming in at #12 and Pippa at #21.
- Most Searched Viral Video: 2011 was all about Friday — Rebecca Black’s Friday that is. As the most searched viral video on Bing, Rebecca Black’s video even beat MTV video music award winner Adele by 34 percent.
- Most Searched Celebrity Couple: When it comes to the most searched celebrity couple on Bing, there’s a tie between Will Smith and Jada Pinkett Smith and Selena Gomez and Justin Bieber tied. The royal couplecame in third.
- Most Searched Economic Terms: With the economic difficulties we’re facing, it’s no wonder that bankruptcy and selling a home were among the top financial terms searched in 2011. Topping the list were searches for real estate agents, perhaps showing the difficulty and need in selling a home.
- Most Searched Charities: Despite the economic issues plaguing the country, charitable giving was still on the mind of many Americans. The YMCA took home honors as the most searched charitible organization, with the American Red Cross, Lance Armstrong Foundation, SPCA and Habitat for Humanity rounding out the top 5.
- Most Searched Celebrity Children: When it comes to celebrity children, Suri Cruise is by far the most popular kid on the block. The runner ups, Malia and Sasha Obama were far behind with only a third of the searches conducted for Suri Cruise.
- Most Searched Diet Plan: Diets are always a popular topic and Weight Watchers took the crown for 2011 beating out Calorie Counting, Atkins, HCG and the Cholesterol Diet.