Kingston have just announced that they are releasing a new flash drive which can write at 80 Mbps.
Dubbed the USB 3.0 Data Traveller the flash drive is nearly three times faster than existing thumb drives. The drive can read at 100 MBps and write at 70 Mbps and if it sounds too good to be true, you would be right.
To get these speeds when the USB drive is plugged into USB 3.0 port and they are thin on the ground at the moment. You could still buy one as it will work in the USB 2.0 port too but that would be largely pointless. In their press release, the company mentions that their G2 Pen Drive is ideal choice for professionals who want to take advantages of all the features offered by USB 3 technology. Kingston’s Andrew Ewing, flash memory business manager said that the company is committed to speed up the market adoption of USB 3.0.
KingstonDataTraveler Ultimate 3.0 G2 Features and Specifications:
- Capacities*: 16GB, 32GB, 64GB
- Requirements: system with USB 3.0 port
- Backwards compatible: with USB 2.0
- Speed**: When plugged into a USB 3.0 system: up to 100MB/s read and 70MB/s write; when plugged into a USB 2.0 system: maximum specification performance (around 30MB/s read and write)
- Dimensions: 2.90″ x 0.87″ x 0.63″ (73.70mm x 22.20mm x 16.10mm)
- Operating Temperature: 32°F to 140°F (0°C to 60°C)
- Storage Temperature: -4°F to 185°F (-20°C to 85°C)
- Practical: durable casing with a solid lanyard loop
- Warranty: 5 Years